We own our house and the neighbor's house is now a rental.

Customer Question
We own our house...

We own our house and the neighbor's house is now a rental. The tenants are loud, have parties at least once a week and rarely cut their grass. We have contacted the landlord and he has done nothing about it. What are our rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida, Volusia County

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Contacting the landlord via text and also sending video's via text of their noise.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am sorry to hear that you are having that problem. I am also sorry to hear that the landlord is not fostering a productive relationship in the neighborhood.

You are on the right track for an issue like this. The first thing you are doing is documenting which is absolutely a necessity.

I would suggest the message you sent in the text be sent to the landlord via certified mail; return receipt requested. This furthers you case of documentation. In this letter, give them a fairly tight time frame - say 7 days. Let them know that you hope they can address the issues, but if not then you will have to involve the necessary authorities to address the situation.

In your county, there is a Code Enforcement office that is designed to enforce the building, maintenance, conduct and other issues. I have attached a link here for your review and so you can have their contact if you need it.

If for some reason . you cannot send a certified letter, then keep all of the texts and give a deadline via text.

As well, it is not uncommon for there to be municipal ordinances addressing when parties have to be over. If this occurs and a party goes late, you could bypass the code enforcement and call the police. Police are very good at shutting down parties.

What I have learned through the years is that sometimes it takes the authorities being involved to make people behave like good neighbors.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.