My medical debt was turned over to a collections agency 6…

My medical debt was...

My medical debt was turned over to a collections agency 6 years ago. I've been making monthly payments the entire time. I've been reading about the statute of limitations and I think it applies to when you haven't made any payments. Is that correct? Do I still have to pay them since I haven't missed any payments? Or can I stop payments now since it has been 6 years? I still owe more than $16k. I live in Virginia but the debt incurred in Tennessee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Reading online

3/17/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - The statute of limitations applies to the debt collection agency. Because you have been making regular payments, the statute of limitations does not apply to your case.

That being said, because you have been making regular payments - I would contact the debt collection agency to see if you can get a payment plan that works better and they can give you a bot***** *****ne number for what you have to pay. Almost in all these types of cases you can negotiate the amount and payment options.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't find this actually priority at all. I think it is best to keep paying the small amount I've been paying and not worry about it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't find this actually priority at all. I assume if I negotiate a lesser total amount due they will want it in lump sum or larger payments. I think it is best to keep paying the small amount ($100) I've been paying and not worry about it.

not necessarily - but if you are comfortable to continue to pay - you can always do that as well.

I hope that i have answered your question - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I would rather not pay it at all lol. 6 years later and I still can't believe my insurance didn't pay for my emergency surgery. I guess I'll call them and see what we can work out.
DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer