If an employer, saks, offers a full time employee of 16

If an employer, saks...

If an employer, saks, offers a full time employee of 16 stellar years part time only. What are that person’s immediate rights. She has been told her insurance is already cancelled. She has MS and A blood clotting disorder that gave her three strokes. Seems cold and unjust but what are her rights if any. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Mgr only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will. Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Offered a severance of about $7500 all on their terms.

3/17/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - why was she told she is switching to part time?

Cutting costs due to online shopping. I think Macy’s and Lord and Taylor may be doing the same. She has never been late for work. She is a Norwegian citizen and my girlfriend of 18 years.

Thank you for the information - Generally speaking Saks is allowed to make a full time employee part time. The issue with that type of work is the fact that she is an at will employee and can be terminated or adjusted at anytime for just about any reason. All the employer must do is state a reason that is related to the business and it is legal.

That being said, because of her unique situation as an 18yr employee, a stroke victim, medical issues, she may have a claim of unlawful business practice, unlawful termination. She may fall under a protected class for the aforementioned characteristics. It would be an uphill battle to fight Saks because of the at will employment status. But I wanted to give you all the information possible.

I hope that answered your questions and gave you options moving forward - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer