Can the courts of Ohio seize a car that’s not in my name and…

Customer Question
Can the courts of Ohio...
Can the courts of Ohio seize a car that’s not in my name and then fine me the cost of that car because it’s not in my name?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
I'm going to need a little more information about your situation...

The courts seized my vehicle cuz of two F3s trafficking and possession of marijuana. They seized my car, and then at court weeks later they released and indictment with specifications that stated the seizure of my money and nothing else. I then requested my car back from the courts and they released the vehicle to me. Apparently a day before I picked up the car they made a supplemental indictment that puts the car back up for forfeiture. I have not been served yet, the document just appears online. If I have put the vehicle in my moms name since picking the vehicle up and the courts and police did not inform me about the possibility of the vehicle being seized or put up for forfeiture in the future, can they still seize the vehicle/fine me the value of the vehicle?

When you say "put the vehicle in my moms name" are you saying simply giving her the car. Unfortunately that would be seen as divesting yourself of assets and the courts can still attempt to seize that property. However, if you sold the car to mom she would be a lawful purchaser for value and therefore they - in theory - would have a much more difficult time seizing the asset. The problem, however, is if you state that you sold mom the car they can then seize the profits of the sale.

if I sold it to her cheaply would they come after the amount it was sold for, or how much they value it at is the real question now then

Technically they could only come for the amount it was sold for - but in theory they can argue that it was sold in order to evade their access to the funds. The flip side is if you didn't know they were going to come for the car, it's harder for them to argue that you were trying to evade them. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.