I live in Tacoma. On Feb 26th, my partner of 18 years dies…

Customer Question
I live in Tacoma...

I live in Tacoma Washington. On Feb 26th, my partner of 18 years dies in a car accident. No will. No formal Domestic Partners filed with the sate, although with his former employer Alaska Airlines we were registered as Domestic partners where i have travel benefits. Our house was in his name only and his brothers are handling the research on insurances ect. Im not sure how i will be treated and would like to know if I have legal rights in regards ***** ***** house, truck bank accounts etc.. there is no real "estate" so to speak.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Of what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately WA does not recognize common law marriages and if you had not been registered formally a domestic partners, your legal relationship is that of a dating couple so no property ownership rights would attach here. Anything that was in your partner's name solely would go into their estate to descend to their heirs. Anything you owned together jointly would legally be considered half yours, half the estate's.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

/