My dad co signed when I got my car, and last night my mom…

Customer Question
My dad co signed...

My dad co signed when I got my car, and last night my mom took my car keys without my consent. Is that legal? My name is ***** ***** title and insurance but my dads name is ***** ***** title too since he co signed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Well, I haven't done anything yet. I'm planning on getting a duplicate key sometime

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am an attorney who will assist you today
Good morning
is it legal for her to take my keys without consent?
as a coowner, he has a right to take the keys, however under the law he cannot deny you access to the car, and you can legally make copies of the keys and use the car.Coowners, (title owners) have equal rights to the car.I hope this clarifies and helps. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars
Is it legal for my mom to take them even if she isn't co owner?
Wouldn't either of them be denying me access to my car if they take my keys?
No, it is not legal for her to take the keys, and you have a right to call the police to make a complaint and ask that the Keys be given to you so that you can make a copy. Under the law only your father can take the keys, but he must also give you access.I hope this clarifies