I went into Walmart yesterday morning to buy a tv. I knew…

I went into Walmart...

I went into Walmart yesterday morning to buy a tv. I knew which one I wanted but noticed a cheaper model with similar features. I couldn’t decide and was discussing the matter on the phone. I got to the checkout and realized one of them was not actually a tv but a pc monitor. At self checkout I scanned it in and entered the serial of the one I intended to but and told the cashier the other one would not work. Somehow I ended up with the pc monitor. I went back last night and found the one with my serial number on it and proceeded to customer service to explain. I noticed loss prevention had begun to circle so I got nervous and left leaving the one I paid for again behind. I’m really worried. I just want to lay the difference and get on with life but now I’m worried they don’t believe I made a mistake. What do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Tried to go back last night to pay but got spooked by LP and I wasn’t being paranoid they were going to apprehend me. I told the LP guy at the door I bought the wrong monitor and was going to go get the other one but that wasn’t true. I never intended on bringing the other back as it’s evidence of theft right.

3/17/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

So what do you have now? Are you saying that when you scanned it, it didn't scan and you manually entered the price of a less expensive one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I scanned one and it asked for the serial number so I put it in. It was for the warranty info. So my receipt shows the time I purchased and it's still in he store.

How did you know the serial number for a tv which you did not have in your possession? So the receipt shows the more expensive tv and you have the monitor? Did you realize after the fact you bought the wrong item? I certainly know and understand how it can be confusing, as I myself I been confused with tvs and monitors these days but I am not understanding how if you had item A in your hand and were checking out, that your receipt showed item B and why you would enter the wrong serial number for a warranty when a warranty only applies to a special make and model.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had picked up two of them. Wasn't sure which one yet that I wanted and was in a hurry. Then while ringing up my items I notice one of the tv's as actually a pc monitor. So I scanned the tv and entered the. As I was leaving the self checkout attendant stopped to take the security tag off. While doing so in the confusion I ended up leaving with the parts monitor leaving the one I paid for at the store.

If your receipt shows that you paid for the tv but somehow took the monitor, you can go back with the monitor and your receipt and try and explain this to them. It would be up to them to decide if they want to allow you to swap it out but they may just give you a credit for the monitor since you do not have a receipt and you may have to put in the difference, as a result of this mistake. If the situation escalated, you could always have hem go back and look at the video from the date and time of this, to verify the accident.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be detained for shoplifting.

You are welcome. There would need to be intent for that to happen. If this was a clear mistake and the wrong item was given or taken and you actually paid for the more expensive item but got the less expensive one, this could be corrected. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney