I want to buy a new car from land rover(2018), and I want to…

Customer Question
Hello I want to...

Hello I want to buy a new car from land rover(2018), and I want to pay the full amount for the car, can I export the car overseas after a month of use even though land rover makes you sign a non-export agreement? is it legal for them to stop you from exporting your car or put a lien on the title even if you paid the full amount of the car?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m an international student, I don’t a SSN, so I can’t buy a car by financing because I don’t have any credit history, I can buy it by paying the full price only.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 month ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, while technically it is not against the law to export a vehicle that a person owns, due to the various dealer policies and signed agreement, many people who were involved in such activity had been penalized and the penalties were as following:

• Liability to us for at least $25,000 in damages, losses, and expenses
  • Rescission of the sale or lease agreement for the vehicle
  • Criminal liability for defrauding the dealership to obtain the vehicle
  • May be prohibited from purchasing/leasing another new vehicle

So, generally, it would not be a good idea to engage in intentional misrepresentation and potential criminal fraud when obtaining a vehicle and signing a non-export agreement and the exporting the vehicle.

You can read more about the issue at the link for one of the local Land Rover dealerships:

https://www.landrovernewportbeach.com/customer-non-export-policy/

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and good luck!

Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 30 days ago

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Thank you.

Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 9 days ago

Thank you

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law