A colleague wrote in a patient chart "the round CV Surgery…

A colleague wrote in...

A colleague wrote in a patient chart "the round CV Surgery PA (I am the on PA on the CV Surgery team) who examined the patient on 1/4/18 has subsequently been diagnosed with influenza a." This was done around a discussion with the patient to notify him of an exposure and need for prophylaxis.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With my supervisor who sent it to institutional compliance. 10 1/2 weeks ago. No adjudication on the matter has been made.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Answered in 1 day by:
3/18/2018
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still would like an answer
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
What can I answer for you? I see what you've written but I don't see a question listed.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does this represent a HIPPA violation. My colleague knew my health information. I allowed my colleagues to know because they were exposed to me. Infection control and risk management were contacted and patients for whom I cared were to be told they had an exposure and offered treatment. One colleague saw 3 of my patients and writes notes. Two did not disclose my information and one note is as I wrote it above. I feel this represents a HIPPA violation. It was not pertinent to that patient’s care who had influenza. Of note, I was seen by my physician the previous day and told I had a post-viral cough. When I went to work that morning I did not have a fever and didn’t feel too badly. Exposing people was incidental. I was hospitalized for four days. This case has been with compliance for 11 weeks without adjudication.
Phone call session started
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney