Credit report: I was an officer at a business. It's loans…

credit report: I was an officer...
credit report:
I was an officer at a business. It's loans were paid late to the bank, and it was put in collections. Three of us officers are personally liable (it was paid, btw). Should this be on my personal credit report? 100% company account.
3/17/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Whether this debt appears on your personal credit report will depend how you (and the other two officers) became personally liable. If you signed a personal guaranty, for example, it could appear on your credit whenever the primary borrower - the company - is late paying or is in default. Since the debt went into collections - if you did personal guarantee the debt and even if you did not receive notice payments by the company were late and a formal demand for payment as a guarantor - those late payments could be reported in connection with your personal credit. If you did not sign a personal guaranty and are personally liable due to some internal agreement within your company that likely would not appear on your personal credit.

If the debt has now been paid, that should also be reflected on your personal credit. If you check your current credit report and it appears still as an outstanding debt you will want to contact the three credit reporting agencies to dispute that. If it merely shows up as late payments, that reporting may remain on your credit for a bit but you can consider contacting the bank to ask if they have a process for removing that report since you were merely the personal guarantor and the debt has been paid.

This sounds like an unfortunate situation but hope this was helpful. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email.

If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's all paid, and the bank knows I'm the only officer to work hard to make that happen, so they'll help if they can. They assigned it to a collections firm (although we paid the bank directly). If I'm tossed the line: the law won't allow us to change it, am I armed with anything? It's a year from otherwise going off my credit, and really painful. Anything preventing them from a good faith early exclusion? Or are they actually allowed to take it off my report because it was totally company, and I'm liable because I was there.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Experian said they'll issue a dispute, asking to take it off because it's a company, and I can upload copies of bank statements that are only in the company name. I'd like to hit it from both ends: Experian doing that, and my getting them a contact to talk to at the collection agency -- if I can convince them it's not going against what's legal.

That is exactly what you need to do - what you are doing with Experian. You will want to contact Equifax and TransUnion as well if it appears on their reports. Your explanation for the dispute should be pretty simple: This was a company debt for which I provided only a personal guaranty (assuming you did) and when the company was unable to pay the debt you properly paid it, and thus it should not reflect negatively on your credit since you took steps to fulfill your obligation once it was triggered.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer