Does the 72 hour hold apply to mimors too? Nevada. Attempted…

Customer Question
Does the 72 hour...

Does the 72 hour hold apply to mimors too?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Attempted self harm from er to behavioralhealth facility 2.5 days ago, 24 year d

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

*14 year old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Yes it does. Here is the relevant portion of the code:

NRS 433A.200  Petition: Filing; certificate or statement of alleged mental illness; statement of parent consenting to treatment of minor.
1.  Except as otherwise provided in NRS 432B.6075, a proceeding for an involuntary court-ordered admission of any person in the State of Nevada may be commenced by the filing of a petition for the involuntary admission to a mental health facility or to a program of community-based or outpatient services with the clerk of the district court of the county where the person who is to be treated resides. The petition may be filed by the spouse, parent, adult children or legal guardian of the person to be treated or by any physician, psychologist, social worker or registered nurse, by an accredited agent of the Department or by any officer authorized to make arrests in the State of Nevada. The petition must be accompanied:
(a) By a certificate of a physician, psychiatrist or licensed psychologist stating that he or she has examined the person alleged to be a person with mental illness and has concluded that the person has a mental illness and, because of that illness, is likely to harm himself or herself or others if allowed his or her liberty or if not required to participate in a program of community-based or outpatient services; or
(b) By a sworn written statement by the petitioner that:
(1) The petitioner has, based upon the petitioner’s personal observation of the person alleged to be a person with mental illness, probable cause to believe that the person has a mental illness and, because of that illness, is likely to harm himself or herself or others if allowed his or her liberty or if not required to participate in a program of community-based or outpatient services; and
(2) The person alleged to be a person with mental illness has refused to submit to examination or treatment by a physician, psychiatrist or licensed psychologist.
2.  Except as otherwise provided in NRS 432B.6075, if the person to be treated is a minor and the petitioner is a person other than a parent or guardian of the minor, the petition must, in addition to the certificate or statement required by subsection 1, include a statement signed by a parent or guardian of the minor that the parent or guardian does not object to the filing of the petition.
(Added to NRS by 1975, 1604; A 1985, 54, 2270; 1989, 1551, 1760; 1995, 2413; 2001, 3044; 2005, 1322; 2013, 3489).

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.