I was in a motorcycle accident in April 2017 which I was…

I was in a...

I was in a motorcycle accident in April 2017 which I was considered at fault according to my motorcycle insurance. I had no medical coverage with them. I filed a claim with my medical insurance on an accident policy I had iao $10k to cover some of the medical expenses i incurred that has been pending since September. I have provided every document they reqested now they want me to sign a subrogation agreement. I dont know what that is.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the injury take place? And do you have medical records or other documentation?

Texas, yes all of which has been provided to the insurance company. I currently owe around $40k in outstanding medical.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

Just the claim with the accident policy. My medical would not pay benefits just had the hospital discount the bill.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I'm ready

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what this agreement means to me since I was considered at fault.

3/16/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Ok, so a subrogation agreement means that the insurance company has the right to collect on any money you get from your vehicle insurance carrier to help offset the costs your medical insurance paid toward your medical bills. In cases of auto accidents, the auto insurance is the one that is to cover those injuries, not your medical insurance. Thus, if your medical insurance covers the bills, then the money that is paid out for an insurance claim for your injuries will first go to the medical insurance carrier and then to you. They have the right to do this under the law. You can also negotiate a lower payment to them to maximize your recovery, but they have the right to be reimbursed for what they paid.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you
Phone call session started

Hello! I see that you requested a phone call. That’s great news! I have just one caller ahead of you, but you will be live on the phone with me in about 30 minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not have medical coverage with my auto so will signing the abrogation agreement hurt me?

Calling now.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer