Tenant obligations in term of rent when not on a lease.

Tenant obligations in term...

Tenant obligations in term of rent when not on a lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinios

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is no lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The way my rent works, or from what I understand, Rent is payed on the first to pay for THAT months rent, right. Not the previous month that you already lived at that destination?

3/16/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. A rental agreement doesn't ordinarily need to be in writing, meaning that if a person who is not on the lease is staying on the property permanently, then that person is going to be liable for the rent. The parties that are living there, whether they are or aren't on the lease, are jointly and severally responsible for the rent payments so the landlord can collect from anyone that is living on the property (unless they are children of course).

In addition, rent is paid to pay for that current month's rent going forward as well.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

could you elaborate? becuase I am not paying for that months rent, just the rent I lived
hello?

I'm still here. What is confusing to you?

I would have to pay the rent if the landlord asked, regardless if Im on the lease? what are the ramifications if I dont? and does this law apply if the landlord cares more about the current tenant paying rent?
what if theres no deposit either?

Well, you and anyone on the lease is responsible for paying the rent if you are all living there, so if the rent isn't paid, then the landlord can evict everyone. Even if you didn't pay a deposit, if you're living on the property, then you will become responsible for helping make sure the rent is paid each month as well and the landlord can collect from you, the other parties, or both.

Does that make a bit more sense?

when you define lease, its not something stritcly on paper? also could you explain the 30 day written notification law?
also, what are the ramifications of not paying rent?

Correct. Rental agreements are frequently not even written down (e.g. when a family member comes to live). Any time you live on someone else's land, it creates a landlord tenant relationship unless you're married to that person or you are a minor and that person is your parent. Generally, if someone is going to be evicted from the property, the law requires at least 30 days written notice. If the eviction is for non-payment of rent, then the landlord can provide just a 3-day notice.

oh sorry, I'm not talking about eviction, Im talking about me, as an individual, giving my landlord 30 days notice, as a requirment for moving out, by state law

I see what you mean. Thanks. So, if you need to leave, you should provide the landlord with 30 days written notice. Just be sure that it reaches them directly either by email and by sending them a notice through regular mail as well.

is that a law?

Yes. Under 735 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 5/9-207 is where you'll find the rules and procedures.

okay. could I still move out say my offical move out in a month, but I "move out" earllier, as long as I pay rent?

Correct!

oh okay, so this doesnt prevent me from moving as long as I send an email?
also, sort of a side thing, apprently my mom asked an anonymous "Illinois Attorney" and they said that if i havent signed any legal documentation im not responsible...
are you still there?
alright, well it kinda seems like you're not there anymore, but thank you for your time.

Hi, I'm sorry. I had some technical difficulties. One moment...

Ok, thanks for your patience. So, a court could rule that you are or aren't a tenant; however, generally if you're living on the property and enjoying the benefits of a tenant, the law would give you the rights and responsibilities of a tenant. So, my recommendation is to go the conservative route and consider yourself a tenant.

okay, but that um, that suit would have to be initiated by the landlord right? the other tenants couldnt?

Correct. The other tenants could not.

alright. thank you for the answers

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer