My question is, I gave notice to move out of my apt 21 da Yt…

Customer Question
Hey, my question is...

Hey, my question is, I gave notice to move out of my apt 21 da Yt s prior but my goal was to move by the tenth of March. When I went in to pay rent I asked if I'm getting prorated rent for the only ten days I will be in for the month. They told me I had to pay the whole months rent. Is it legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I'm in Washington tacoma

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have last month and deposit still in their hands

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you provided the adequate notice to the landlord regarding your move out and you will be moving out with 20 days left in the month, then you do not have to pay for the days you are not occupying the property. In your case, this appears to be a classic breach of contract if they charge you for the remaining days after you leave. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?