Can a second party provide a first party's social security…

Customer Question
Can a second party...

Can a second party provide a first party's social security number to a third party without notifying the first party

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Va

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I am trying to figure out if some law was violated?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I assume this may be a federal matter.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/16/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends on context...can you provide some?

We are trying to settle my mother's estate. My brother is the executed. There may have been some paperwork requiring that we acknowledge his right to pursue various options to settle the estate. I believe it wanted my S.S. N. Does he have the right to give that number out without contacting me?

THank you

Can he use your SSN to complete his duties as executor, without your permission?

If he has it? Yes. As the executor, he has a fiduciary duty to the estate. There is no law that would prohibit him from using your SS if this was required to probate the estate.

What you are describing is not a violation of the law

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that this is a violation of the law, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.