I resigned from a venture capital company which gave me

Customer Question
I resigned from a...

I resigned from a venture capital company which gave me carried interest percentage of the company. They are asking me to sign a release for the carried interest, and will pay me $1000 for it, but it also requires me to release any legal rights I have to an attorney, etc. Should I do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They want me to sign off by March 20th or so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

No, you should not sign the release or any document without having an Attorney review the document to make sure that your interests are protected.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Could you review it, and how much would it cost me to have you review it?

Thank you for your request. Unfortunately document review are done under the site's premium service, which I do not participate in. However, you can make the request for document review under a new thread and Attorneys who participate in the program can see the request and decide whether to accept your offer.

Thank you for your understanding.

How do I contact the site's premium service? I didn't see that option.

You can either use the link that appears on this thread that says "Premium Service" or open a new thread asking for document review. An Attorney who is interested would respond and make an offer to you.