I have a small business and part of my lease agreement is…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small business and part of my lease agreement is that I pay a % of maintenance to the building and parking lot area. my lease ends soon and so my landlord decided to excessively pile on repairs and maintenance to the building and parking lot (areas I pay a percent of). might there happen to be an applicable law guarding me in this situation because the lease is clearly defined.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None and sorry, hello pearl

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope, that's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
I meant to say that the Lease I signed is clearly defined in that to which I pay...meaning that there is nothing that could help me in the lease, just so that you can eliminate that as a something worth reviewing.
3/16/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

have you signed this new lease with excessive additional fees?

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
i believe so, yes
sorry, no, this has nothing to do with excessive additional fees or it being a new lease
i've had this lease for over 10 years with me paying about 60% of all maintenance and repair costs on the building and the parking lot. they fees were not that much throughout the years but my lease expires this july so the landlord decided to redo the parking lot and many other things on the building so he would only have to pay 40% of the costs, my lease is up and he has a newly renovated building and lot for less than half the cost...
the 60% of maintenance and repairs i pay is in the lease, just to be clear, it's not my lease i need assistance with (i've been a legal contract specialist for 10+ years in one form or another), it's more of me seeing if there's anything protecting tenants from a landlord who uses a contract for his own excessive benefit above and beyond the obvious intent.
Tenant may complain about landlord practices to the court and by lawyer negotiation. The terms of a signed lease bind both sides except where usurious or otherwise not enforceable. Likewise failure to provide habitable premises may be challenged and rent adjusted.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
This is a commercial property so a habitable premises in this regard does not apply. A decrease in rent doesn't apply because my business is moving in 2 months and i doubt any court would give a decision that requires a landlord address a decrease in rent retroactively. This Lease was executed over 10 years ago. As per the Lease I pay 60% of basically all maintenance and repairs. This is a 11 year term with no renewal options. Throughout the life of the lease the maintenance and repairs totaled no more than 15K, annually (my percent i was required to pay). Then, when the lease is about to expire, the landlord orders anything and everything he possibly could have done just months before my business leaves said location. Now, due to his last minute splurging, my total cost for this year will be over $100,000.