Does a landlord's statutory lien for rent attach to a

Customer Question
Does a landlord's statutory...

Does a landlord's statutory lien for rent attach to a vending machine located inside the leased building?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Tenant defaulted under lease owing $44K; they abandoned building leaving vending machines for parts

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The lien normally attaches to equipment and other property within the premises, which tenant has rights to, so if that is the case, and parties cannot settle the claim, yes.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Is the vending machine considered consigned goods for purposes of the landlord's statutory lien for rent
if the vending machine is consigned goods, how does the landlord's statutory lien attach?
If tenant owns it, the lien attaches. If leasing it, it does not. It has to be tenant property.Is that clearer?
what about containers of gas -- the company wants the containers back but the tenant purchased the gas inside

The containers do not belong to the tenant, so lien would not apply.

If lien claimant owns container but not the gas, it would not be able to remove since cannot safeguard the gas.