My mother died unexpectedly Jan 19 how do I start the

My mother died unexpectedly...

My mother died unexpectedly Jan 19 how do I start the probate for her estate she wrote out her funeral wishes and left everything to my older sister that lived with her me and my other are not contesting any thing

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Just a hand written note my mom wrote a few years back that me and my sister that lived with her signed nothing formal

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is no life insurance or savings she has a piece of property in her name a couple of cars no debts other than last hospital bill

3/16/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

In order to start the probate process, whoever is going to be the Administrator of the estate would have to go down to the local probate court in the county where mother lived and file a petition to open a probate case and be appointed Admin. Then the clerks will set a hearing date where the person would show up and be formally appointed to the position of Admin.

.

Then they would gather all assets, pay any debts, and proceed to settle the estate and distribute the assets to the heirs of the will.

.

.

thanks

Do you know what the name of the form would be that I need to get from the probate court

Yes, it is just a petition to open probate.... you just ask the clerks for that form and tell them you want to file to open a probate case...

My sister who lived with my mom has a loan on the house they shared my mother was a Co signer on the loan would this be an asset or can my sister just continue to pay the payments

If sister has the loan, then she would just continue to pay it as normal...

Thank you for your help if more question arise I will contact you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney