What can i do about a collection agency attempting to

Customer Question
What can i do...

What can i do about a collection agency attempting to collect on a charged off debt

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I live in texas but is the debt is in maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have spoken to someone from legal one mediations who is attempting to collect

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This has never showed up on my credit report and i don't remember ever taking out this loan

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

This kind of phone call is often an outright scam, and if you believed that this debt never actually happened, you're almost certainly right, especially if you've bothered to check your credit history and fiind no evidence of it.

In tough economic times, unscrupulous people buy up old consumer lists and old debts for pennies on the dollar and then reach out to people and try to intimidate them into paying monies they don't really have to pay.

You have the right to ask this collection agency to send you written validation of any debt, because you are allowed this under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a Federal act designed to protect consumers from predatory collection agencies. Once they send you written validation, you can formally dispute the debt, which you should do in writing, by sending the collection agency a cease and desist letter, letting them know that they are in violation of both state law and the Federal government's Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Tell them in your letter to immediately refrain from contacting you again or anyone else such as your family or employer or that you will report them on the state level to your state Attorney General and on the Federal level to the Federal Trade Commission. Remind them that from here, every violation could get them fined $1,000.

If you really owe this money, they will have to serve you and sue you civil court, but they cannot continue to call and bother you. If you don't owe the money, this should be the end of it all.

The Federal Trade Commission gives a wonderful overview of overaggressive and/or fake collection agencies and how to get them off of your back, where to report them, where to learn more, etc. And it is pretty straightforward. You can access that here.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

If these are out and out scammers, they may not respond to threats of Federal law, but you can simply ignore them and report them to our police, to your state attorney General, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov Good luck!

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney