What licenses are required when starting a sole

What licenses are required...

What licenses are required when starting a sole proprietorship?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from state to state, can you tell me where the business is located?

San Diego California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Nothing has been fied

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a handyman and work at carpentry, plumbing and electrician. Do I have to obtain a contractors license?

3/16/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You do not need a license for a sole proprietorship, that is an unregistered entity. You need to register if you want to be a LLC or a S Corp or C Corp with the Secretary of State.

As far as a contractor's license, any businesses or individuals who construct or alter any building, highway, road, parking facility,railroad, excavation, or other structure in California must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) if the total cost (labor and materials) of one or more contracts on the project is $500 or more.

So if you will be doing jobs of $500 or more you will need to be a licensed contractor. If you will be doing plumbing and electrical, you need to be a certified plumber or electrician as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney