My wife lives in Accra, Ghana, we got married there two

Customer Question
My wife lives in...

My wife lives in Accra, Ghana , we got married there two weeks ago when i was over there so she could apply for a Visas, so she come to the USA. Her late Dad had left her 100 kilgrams of gold bars as inheritance worth about 4.1 million .We want to ship the gold bars to America whats our steps in doing this .We have already pay for the storage .

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

We have a lawyer in Ghana that is talking to a security company for shipment and he says they want 3/1/2 per cent of the Value of the gold to ship it AMERICA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

Yes we signed paper for the lawyer and he said it would take 40 to 50 days in the courts and then he would send me a copy to record here and that i have to send the original copy back to the courts there.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Just to clarify, when you say your "wife", are you speaking of someone you have actually met in person? Have you seen the gold bars?

Why can you just not ship the gold the gold through normal channels?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have met my wife in person and seen the gold and paid for the storage . was there for 7 days in Ghana . Need to know the right way to make this happen .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please call me

The general rule regarding the shipment of this bullion is:

Gold coins, medals and bullion, formerly prohibited, may be brought into the United States. However, under regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar) and most of Sudan are prohibited entry. Copies of gold coins are prohibited if not properly marked by country of issuance.

Based on the information you have provided, if the form is correct by legal defination, there is no duty on this gold bullion. However it must be declared. The classification is unwroguth non-monetary bullion.

See chapter 71 at this link: http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm

There is no license required to bring your personal gold assets into the U.S. BUt any valued at 10,000 or more must be reported on a special customes form at the time of entry. You must decalre the bullion to the customs officer when you enter.

Be sure to be able to prove ownership of the bullion.

Just hire a shipping company, DHL or FedEx, for example, and they will bring the gold to the US for you.

Are you still online with me?

Tina, Lawyer