Can you appeal a ruling on a custody case. It was decided…

Can you appeal a...

Can you appeal a ruling on a custody case. It was decided yesterday in Douglas Co

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

The ruling was given yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

The child age 16 signed an election form to live with his dad. He thought that would mean that we would still have joint custody of him and that he would spend 50/50 time but that the dad would be the final decision maker. His dad filled for full custody and it was awarded based on the election. My son clearly had no idea what he signed based on texts that he sent me today about coming to my house like normal Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I represented myself and shouldn't have. I know we can only file once every two years but can we appeal it? This is not what the 16 yr old wantted

3/16/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert who will assist you today.Any final order of the court can be appealed. Sometimes in these case the hearing will be held in front of a court appointed magistrate and not the actual judge.If your case was heard by a court appointed magistrate, it is better to file objections to the magistrate's report to be reviewed by the judge, then, if the judge upholds the decision you can file an appeal in a higher court.If it was a decision by the judge, then you can only appeal issues of law, not facts, so in order to have a successful appeal you will need to do some legal research to find errors by the trial court that can be appealed to the court of appeals.You have 30 days from the date of an order to appeal that order. It should be filed by a local appellate attorney because appeals are very complicated and require a legal argument.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My son who is 16 and signed an election to transfer custody to his dad. The case was ruled on yesterday by a state judge in his dad’s favor. My son today changed his mind because he didn’t understand what that would mean regarding visitation with me (Mom). Is this a good case for an appeal and if so what is the first step?
It will be a difficult case because you can only appeal issues of law, not facts. They are hard cases to prove.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer