Is there someone here to answer my question? Florida. None.

Is there someone here...

Is there someone here to answer my question?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

3/16/2018
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Did you have a specific question?

I am being blackmailed by a man who just called me saying I solicited his 16 year old daughter. He confiscated her phone and is saying that he will turn me and the phone in unless I pay him $500. I met her on a dating site that said she was 18. We never met, she was on her way to my house yesterday and he says she got in an accident. None of the texts were explicit, discussed sex, and no provacative pics were exchanged. I only invited her over to hang out at my house. He's only giving me until 3pm ET to pay. I want to call the police but Is what I did illegal?
Are you still there?

No. If you believed the girl was 18 yrs old and you have the communication to back that up you should be good. The fact that you never met with her helps out as well. This is a scam this guy is likely not her father more than likely the "girl" you were talking with and the "father" you are talking too are one in the same person. You have done nothing wrong. If this guy tries to amp things up by threatening physical violence I would call the police. However I would not respond or communicate in any other way with him again. Cut off all communication. Further communication will only egg him on.

Yes still here.

Did you have any further questions that I could answer? If not I would appreciate it if you would rate my answer (5 stars is appreciated). Thank you!

No. Thank you. It felt like a scam but I was worried as that would ruin my life.

If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars is appreciated). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question. Thank you!

If more issues crop up please contact me! Here is the link to my profile:

https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-expert-andy/?rpt=3800

Ratings are at the top of the page! Good luck!

Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer
Thank you

Thank you! Good luck to you.