I'm trying to find out if cloudcom technologies is a scam.

Customer Question
I'm trying to find...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I tried looking up scams with their name. I got one site that asked for their email address but can't find the page again.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I called Comcast to see if I could lower the bill. they connected me with cloudcom technologies who took over my computer.They said they put in a firewall and removed 15 unauthorized user. They are charging me $499.99 for 1 year of service and took my banking info in the form of a check. The whole thing just didn't feel right.I want to know if they are a legitimate company.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you have an email address for this company?

No. I don't have $59 to make this quicker.

That's not a problem. We can proceed here by chat. Sorry for the delay but I am working with several customers and take follow-ups in the order received. I'm on yours now. Please be patient for a few more minutes.

The only Cloudcom Technologies I have found is in Mumbai, India and that does not bode well. Scammers always prey on victims from other countries as it is easeir that way for them to completely get away with their crime.

What happened to you has all of the hallmarks of a very popular computer tech scam. I don't see why Comcast would refer you to this company to begin with. I more than suspect that the referral you got did not acyually come from Comcast.

Typically, the scam begins when a computer tech company you've never dealt with before warns you of malware in your computer and tries to sucker you into an expensive lifetime protection package. They generally claim to be affiliated with Microsoft or Apple or Macafee or of some well-known IT compay, but they are just using the name to get you to trust them so that you will grant them remote access to your computer.

If you google "computer tech scam" you'll see lots of fraud reports on companies who do this sort of thing.

What these computer tech fraudsters do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a hefty fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money for problems that they are creating with their remote access.

Or, it could be even worse than that:

if you also let them into your computer, they also can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and gets your passwords and they can break into your financial accounts.

What happened to you sounds as fishy to me as it does to you. I don't see what this has to do with lowering your computer bills, if you installed their software or gave them remote access, then your computer's security is at risk and so are all of your accounts in your computer. You need to take precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of your pin numbers and passwords.

Do this immediately and your computer and accounts should be secure.

You should also contact your bank and close that bank account and open a new one.

You can see an article about these frauds here:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

Report them online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at www. FTC.gov

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.