My son was arrested in New York on Feb 2 2018 and accused of…

Customer Question
My son was arrested...

My son was arrested in New York on Feb 2 2018 and accused of sexual battery on a minor from 2010 until Oct 2017 but he was in New York but from May 2017 until Feb 2 2018 I'm confused and need help

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the battery charges?

His Prelimanary hearing was yesterday in FL I have not heard from him I'm concerned

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the battery occur?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes his ex wife brought these charges but she was talking to him almost everyday while he was here until he got a new girlfriend here

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

What do I expect from here and do they let him call after a preliminary hearing

I understand. I'm sorry to hear about his situation. According to a trusted source (the Department of Justice) and based on my legal understand, "Once the defendant has entered a plea of not guilty, a preliminary hearing will often be held. The prosecutor must show that enough evidence exists to charge the defendant. Preliminary hearings are not always required, and the defendant can choose to waive it."

If there is enough evidence to move forward with a charge, then they will set a trial date. Before the trial date, there are also other dates such as the dates the attorneys must exchange evidence and witness lists as well and those would be set by the judge. Is your son represented by someone?

Not yet I'm getting someone

I see. So, what I would do is work on getting either a court appointed attorney or getting one on your own. Check out your state's lawyer referral service for good criminal law attorneys who can help you out.

This attorney will likely be able to negotiate and defend your son's case on his behalf.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?