What are the consequences to a seller for breaking a

What are the consequences...

What are the consequences to a seller for breaking a contract with a realtor--I have a 6 months contract and have decided not to sell at this time.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have only signed the contract. nothing more.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Asheville, NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
ok

Have you accepted an offer to sell?

What does the listing say with regard to your right to cancel.

No I have not accepted an offer and have no offers at present. I have not read the contract in detail. I guess that's a first step right?
I do not want to talk by phone. Please respond here. Thanks.
As I read the listing agreement, it seems to say that as long as an offer has not been made and I have not agreed to sell or transfer the property to any other agency and do not plan to do so within the next 6 months plus 30 days, there is no obligation. Not sure if I have understood this completely though.

What the agreement says is typical. So long as there is no offer accepted then the broker is not a "procuring cause", entitled to a commission, and the agreement can be cancelled in accordance with the terms.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Loren, Attorney