5 years ago I went to court again with my ex over property…

5 years ago I...

5 years ago I went to court again with my ex over property we had together. The place had a home on it that burned and in turn the entire note was completely paid off. That made ge 13.66 acres of land I was fighting for debt free. I wanted at least 1/2 of it. I lost again- they said for him to get a quit claim deed and have me sign it and the land was his. That was 5 years ago. He’s 2 years not paid me child support 2 years not had his son on insurance. I have done it all. He’s currently not employed and hasn’t been in 2 years. I won’t sign anything now. I have found out he’s not paid taxes on this land since 2015. Payment has to be made by the end of this month or more legal fees are there. Could I get this land if I went and paid these land taxes???? Or what can I do. I’m still on it just as much as the day we first got it

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I’ve not done anything yet. I don’t want to put money into it to only lose. But they are about to get steep with everything cause of non payment on taxes

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Pocahontas Tn

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma’am that is all I can think of. He’s been told to get a quit claim deed twice and not done that. Last time was 5 years ago. I thought there might be a time limit and if I want it now do I have a chance. I’m working a great job and can pay

3/16/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

I'm sorry - I'm not understanding... you own the land (meaning you're on the deed) or you don't? I see something about "they said" for your ex to get a quit claim deed but I'm not following the situation there... Can you please restate b/c I'd hate to tell you that if you pay the taxes you'll own it when in fact someone else owns it and you'll just be doing them a favor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am on the deed- when we divorced there was payments being made and he was given 30 days to refinance the play and I was to sign a quit claim deed. -which I did but the lawyer kept until he refinanced. He never did. Lawyer never gave him the deed so that was thrown out because of the 30 days. I’m 2013 in January the bank contacted me due to no payments made for 3 months. I was going to take it over soon as I could get him out- well the place surprising burned and In turn it was paid off. No payments were owed. Day I went to court at that time they told him to again get a quit claim deed for me to sign and I’d have no rights to it. He never did get this at all. This was 5 years ago and taxes haven’t been paid since 2015. My name is ***** ***** this property
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can contact a local lawyer if I need to. I’m at work and was needing answers before going in to the land office today
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you note have an answer. I’d prefer not to call if that’s ok. I see that’s extra. I’m just trying to see what my rights are

So, what you have is a giant maybe. I know... not that satisfying... but essentially there are now TWO court orders telling him to do XYZ to remove you from the deed... but what' confusing for me is that you're saying that they told HIM to get a quit claim deed for you to sign - rather than telling YOU to give him a quit claim deed. My concern is you're stating they're placing the onus on him to get something from you, rather than the other way around.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had already told my lawyer I’d not get one and he was told to furnish the deed and gave me sign. This was 5 years ago and I’m still on property. Is there a limitation of time for one to get a deed?? And remove someone ?

And that's why I'm trying to get to what the court's order actually says... b/c if the court's order is for you to do something and you failed to do it and somehow benefited from your own failure to do that he can go back into court and argue that it wouldn't be fair and equitable for your to be able to obtain the property due to your own failure to do what the judge said. However, if HE was supposed to get something from you (in exchange, perhaps, for removing you off of something - mortgage, etc.) then that's different. But at the moment, since technically nothing was done and your name is ***** ***** piece of paper that is a deed then you own it. That's the nature of having a deed - the person whose name is ***** ***** owns the property up to and until a court states otherwise. Please let me know if I've answered your question. And I'm apologizing in advance if you perceive this information not to be "good news" but unfortunately I can't change the law... I'm just trying to avoid you having to deal with a huge headache to the extent that I can help you do that :) There is no statute of limitations after which you'd no longer have to follow the court's order. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you’ve helped tremendously. Thank you!!

My pleasure - happy to help! If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney