Can you tell me more about how the pricing works? MN. I have…

Hi Can you tell...

Hi Can you tell me more about how the pricing works?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

MN

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have a question on bait and switch laws

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Situation: doctor advertised free consultation. Went to the consultation, they asked if I had insurance, I said yes but that it wouldn't be covered. They insisted I submit it to the insurance anyway just to see. They never told me that by submitting it to the insurance meant they would charge me $150. I never discussed a price or agreed to it. Now they sent me to collections. I just want to know the law that is broken here that I can reference when I call their office. I think it has something to do with bait and switch but I'd like the legal way to describe it. Thanks!

I'd like to know how to speak to this doctors office in a way that they know I'm serious and that this is not a valid debt and that (I think) a law has been broken with this charge. I've already explained it in a basic way like a normal person would but they will not remove the debt and have reported it to collections. I don't want this on my credit report. Thanks!
3/16/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

If you have a copy of the free consultation advertisement you'd want to show it to the doctor's office. If they still won't budge you can choose to pay the bill and then sue the doctor in small claims court. You can also choose not to pay the bill at all but as you can see it'll just go to collections (if it hasn't already). There's no legal way to "force" someone not to send something to collections short of going to court and getting a court order to force it (or remove it if it has already been sent to collections). Some people choose to pay the bill and then sue for the money back for just that reason... they want to avoid the giant headache that is collections and their credit being ruined. Please let me know if I've answered your question. And I'm apologizing in advance if you perceive this information not to be "good news" but unfortunately I can't change the law... I'm just trying to avoid you having to deal with a huge headache to the extent that I can help you do that :) If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Hi Olivia, Thanks for the response. The bill is not high and I've moved out of state. It will cost me more to go back to MN from FL to sue them for $150. It feels like they are extorting this money out of me by threatening to ruin my credit, so this is bad news. I can't believe it's legal to do that to people. I'll send you the rating. Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing... that filing even in small claims court (which is cheap) would be in the vicinity of $100 - so suing to get $50 back and dealing with having to take time to go to court might not be "worth it" for a lot of people... However, you CAN report this underhanded type of conduct to the state licensing board - which would be free :-)

And, thank you for your rating! if you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking
https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.