I'm thinking of buying a vehicle in FL with a certificate of…

I'm thinking of buying...

I'm thinking of buying a vehicle in FL with a certificate of destruction. can I regester it in SD?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in CT, but moving to SD soon. I'll stay at my inlaws while our house is built in SD. They live in SD too

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I went online and couldn't find a definitive answer

3/16/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

G​ood morning. I am a legal expert who will assist you today. I need a few minutes to work on your answer.

ok I'm off and on. doing stuff around the house
can we do this online? I don't want to spend 59$ for a truck I may not buy. It was issued a certificate of destruction in FL but was NOT flooded. only cosmetic damage from flying debris

Ok

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If you have a certificate of destruction from Florida then you cannot just register it in North Dakoda. North Dakoda requires that the vehicle which has an out of state certificate of destruction to be transported to the state by hauling, it cannot be driven. You must then rebuild the vehicle, under the inspection of the North Dakota Department of Revenue. Once the vehicle is completely assembled and in running condition, then you must complete an Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration along with an Application for Inspection of Rebuilt Motor Vehicle and submit the forms to the local county treasurer’s office, for an approval of the rebuild by the inspector. The process takes several months and there is no guarantee that they will approve the rebuild and issue a new title.

Another way is to obtain a title in Florida, if possible. If the vehicle has a salvage title, you can apply for a rebuilt title. A rebuilt vehicle title allows you to legally operate your car on public roads after you’ve rebuilt the vehicle.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

It was South Dakota...sorry
Do the same laws apply?

Ok.

yes, I was referring to South Dakoda, not North Dakota. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars.

KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer