I have a court date this morning in DC: Case No: 2016 CA…

I have a court...

I have a court date this morning in Washington DC:Case No: 2016 CA 005491 R9 (RP)Motion for Default Judgment for my home.Is there anything that I can do this morning to postpone this so I can sell my home in the next 2 months,Thank you,
Clinton Alsip

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

DC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing. I need to sell the house, but I have been caring for my mother in Pennsylvania the last year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Again, I just need to know my next steps. Thank you

The default judgment has no sale date issued. What happens this morning? Can I get a stay of 30 days to sell and vacate?
3/16/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Did you fail to file an answer or respond to the complaint? Is that why the bank is seeking a default? Do you have equity in the home and a buyer, at this time?

I never received paperwork saying I needed to respond
I have equity but no buyer.

So this is the first you are hearing of this?

I received the paperwork but it says I failed to file an answer
I’m considering filing for bankruptcy

Thank you. In a situation like this, you would need to try and convince the Judge that you did not understand that you need to answer the complaint. Typically, it will state if you have to file an answer within X number of days and if that was not disclosed to you and you were not aware, you could object and oppose the default and ask the Judge to allow you 10 or 20 days, to answer and raise any defenses. If the Judge allows it, it would prevent the default from being entered and give you more time and you want to ask the Judge to have this decided on the merits. You can also try and find a buyer and if you have a contract, ask that the bank stay the proceedings and allow it to be closed, so they can get paid off in full.

Ok then I will try and do what you suggested

Yes, you need to explain to the Judge why you failed to answer and that you did not know or understand the need and ask for time, which if granted, should delay this.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Rating submitted

Thank you!