If a debt is incurred in Illinois, but I then move to

If a debt is...

If a debt is incurred in Illinois, but I then move to California - which state's statute of limitation for filing judgment prevails?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this?

Not yet. Just thought about it late last night.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Contacting you. Literally just started pursuing the matter very recently (hour or so)

3/16/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Is there a written agreement for the debt? If yes, does the agreement specify choice of laws or venue?
It was for a cell phone/cable. I think it was a written agreement, as far as I signed up for the service.
Thank you for the additional moment.
All those providers have a written agreement with choice of law clauses. So, no matter where you relocate, by agreement, the state’s law specified in the contract will apply.
So, check the contract for the applicable statute of limitations.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.
Are you still online with me?
Loren, Attorney