I would like to check if an email I have from incomedesk is…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to check if an email I have from incomedesk is legitimate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

I am selling a caravan. A buyer has paid money into a PayPal holding account however I have been asked to provide a moneygram transfer receipt for the pick up of the van, before the funds can be released. Apparently the buyer has paid PayPal, and they are ready to release the funds $21,750.....how do find out if this is legitimate before paying moneygram $1600??

Lawyer's Assistant: The Email Technician will be able to walk you through that. How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Tablet.

Lawyer's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I replied to the message from incomedesk, however not received a response? Is this a common way of transacting these items and value?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Is incomedesk a part of PayPal?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The fact that they're asking you to send money through MoneyGram when you're the one selling something to them is a dead giveaway that it's a scam. This is not a legitimate transaction. There is no logical or legal reason for you to pay them $1,600 to give you $21,000+. Also, Paypal doesn't do holding accounts. You send money to Paypal, they send it where you want the money to go. That's it. It's fast, it's easy. And unlike Moneygram, it's protected. If you send them $1,600 through Moneygram, you'll never hear from them again.

Paypal has a list of scams on their website, and one of the ones mentioned is a scenario where a buyer over pays and asks you to send them money back.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-are-common-scams-and-how-do-i-spot-them-faq3176

In addition, I can't find any record at all of a company called IncomeDesk. If they do exist, they're not associated with Paypal.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?