My car was repossessed tonight and on my driveway in a gated…

Customer Question
My car was repossessed...

My car was repossessed tonight and on my driveway in a gated community. I saw the pick up truck when he pulled in and told him he was not to touch my car, that I had paid my car off and he proceeded to take my vehicle.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I paid $25,000 cash when I bought the vehicle. I had it set up in autopay and my bank was bought out by a larger bank and my payments were supposed to be transferred to my new account but it looks like they were not.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe he was in breach of peace because I told him that he could not take my car and I asked him what he was doing on my property. He refused to speak to me and called local police and proceeded to put blocks behind my rear wheels and then lifted my car. I very clearly saw him before it was on his truck and my son was there as a witness, I was also on the phone at the time with my significant other and we have security cameras on our property
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At the time, I didn’t know that I had the right to object, but I did because I didn’t know why he was taking my car out of instinct. Since then I’ve researched and found that he illegally took my vehicle.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked him who to call to find out about delinquent payments, and he refused to tell me.
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Hello. I have a question. You say that you paid cash for the car, but then you say that you set up payments through your bank which was then bought by a larger bank. To whom did you pay $25,000, and did you ever receive a title to the car?

Hello again. Under Indiana law the repossession agent must file a report with your County Sheriff within two hours of picking up the vehicle. See:http://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-26-commercial-law/in-code-sect-26-2-10-6.html. So call your County Sheriff and you should be able to find out who took the car and make arrangements to get it back.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney