I need help desperately for both my 15 year son and myself…

Customer Question
I need help desperately...

I need help desperately for both my 15 year son and myself both of our rights have been completely ignored my son is being detained over a comment a bad comment admittedly but still a comment to his group of friends state cop ;ied through his teeth when i asked why he was being marandarized the cop said it was procedure in order for him to ask him questions pertaining to the questions the principle had asked him before i got to school this would be after they had already voice recorded and interrogated without my being there are even acknowledged before hand

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Yes two counts of six felony intimation and it was set for the 20th of this month but the public defender filed something to get for a incompetency thing my son started haveing mental issues a few months ago but when this happened and the cop told me there was no legal allegations I screwed up and signed the paper for him to talk to my kid i got escorted by two state boys to the er were we waited for six and a half hours for them to supposedly find a psych bed to be told they were detaining him for his own safety when i asked on what charges they said he wasnt being charged just detained they took him to southwest regional valley youth in Viennese and then told my already scared shitless son that he was charged after he heard them just tell me he wasnt

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes there alot more that has happened including him first being sent to a hospital and then kicked back out to juvy when i refused medication three days he was there i spoke with only a nurse first stating that the doctor discontinued the adhd meds he had been on for ten years and he wanted him on prozac i denied the prozac do to the history of horrible side effects it causes in my family but i was also very confused about the dicontinuing of meds that he had been on for so long so i asked to speak wit the doc to find out thoughts next day it was the nurse again this time they wanted to use resperdal which is all over knews with a lawsuit saying it causes boys to grow boobs but still no communication with me from the doctor they kicked him out next day sent him back to juvy and then told posecutor i refused treatment I had to find out from the attorney what my sons diagnosis was and then the hospital turned me in to dcf for neglect

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. How old is your son? What's the present status of the case against him? Is it in juvenile or adult court? What is your question about all this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is fifteen and is still in south west regional valley youth in terra haute they say he being for his own saftey but yet the psychiatric hospital discharged saying he wasnt court is postponed due to public defender trying for incompetent to stand trail and ive pretty much been told that its either go against my beliefs and everything i have learned about the mind and psychology and let them medicate him with dangerous meds or he spends a year in juvy he has never been in trouble period i really feel like ge is being violated even adult murders get a bond he has been in there three weeks for a ill made cude joke to his friend

You need to get a local lawyer involved with this. It sounds like you are telling me that they are evaluating your son for competency. That means they do not think he is capable of assisting in his own defense and that he presently may have psychological problems that are extreme enough so that he cannot face court and trial.

While on one hand, that can be a good thing if the charges against him may ultimately have to be dismissed, it is a bad thing in that if they think he is incompetent, the state is allowed to involuntarily commit him for treatment.

Someone who understands this process has to make sure of what is going on i with regard to this so that his rights -- and yours -- get protected. The case will not go forward unless/until he's found competent but if a mental health/patient's rights attorney can challenge the psychiatric findings of the institution, he may get out sooner.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are cops not required to read juveniles their rights when arrested

Only if they are going to question them about the incident. Then yes, the officer is required to read the minor his rights, just as they would an adult.

Did they take a statement from him without Miranda? If so, if he wants to fight the case, the lawyer can get a special hearing to challenge the police behavior and try to get the statement kept out of evidence.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney