My sister is the executor of my mother's will. My father was…

My sister is the...

My sister is the executor of my mother's will. My father was a photographer who had hundreds of slides of his work. My sister does not want the slides. I would like to have the slides. My sister said that she could just throw them away. If she throws the slides away, has she committed a crime?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I dont't have any documents or supporting evidence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister has been openly hostile.

3/16/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, she will have destroyed an estate asset. The value of the slides is subjective, but they may be worth something and the executor has a legal duty to preserve and protect assets of the estate for the beneficiaries. So if she destroyed the slides, you can file a formal objection with the probate court and the judge can force her to appear in front of him and explain her actions and can then take punitive actions including fines payable to the estate and other penalties including removal as executor if there are other improper actions.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney