NEED A LAWER WITH RENTAL EXPERENCE. KENTUCKY IS THIS A REAL…

Customer Question
NEED A LAWER WITH...

NEED A LAWER WITH RENTAL EXPERENCE

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

KENTUCKY IS THIS A REAL PERSON OR A COMPUTER

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

LONG STORY UTILITIES ARE IN MY NAME AND THERE 838 BEHIND BUT THERE ONLY A HALF A MONTH BEHIND OF RENT

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just need to know my best option at doing the eviction process and small claims court

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you can post your legal question and some of the back story about what is going on, I should be able to help..

.

.

thanks

need to figure out the best route to go. utilities are in my name there behind 838 there half a month behind and there worthless renters. I served an eviction notice 30 days ago for the utilities stating they must show a 0 balance at the end of 30 days and they havnt attempted to do anything. do I evict them then take them to small claims court for the rest or ??
do you have any idea if theres any kind of paper at the court house I can have them sign that's transferes the debt in there name? the reasoning for keeping utilities in my name were they already owe 600 but they agreed to transfer them but they never did. everything is a verbal agreement I just don't want to be stuck with the almost 900 utility bill I cant afford to pay that. im worried my utilities are going to be shut off
p.s no security deposit ect was taken upon renting. this is why i will no longer rent to friends of family

do I evict them then take them to small claims court for the rest or ??

.

Correct, an eviction is about possession. You can sue them for up to $2500 in small claims court. But I would go ahead and get the small claims suit going while they are still there so you can get them served.

.

do you have any idea if theres any kind of paper at the court house I can have them sign that's transferes the debt in there name?

.

there isn't.

.

And you always put in a cut off notice for utilities for 2 days after a tenant moves in.. that way you don't get on the hook for them....

.

And if someone gets behind on rent, you give them a 7 day notice to pay or vacate the day after they are late and then file the forcible detainer at day 10.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a KY landlord for over 26 years...

.

,

thanks

thought state law was 30 days on any kind of evictions im in Henderson ky if that matters
if im not mistaken if talked to you last time i had to take a tennent to court
even with them being so far behind, i cant have the utility company turn the utilities off with out behind held responsible correct?

Nope, 7 days for late rent... see KRS 383.660.. KY law applies throughout the entire state...

.

15 days for a lease violation other than late rent.. 30 days to terminate a month to month tenancy.

.

i cant have the utility company turn the utilities off with out behind held responsible correct?

.

Nope, that would be considered a constructive eviction and give them legal grounds to sue you. So you have to grit your teeth and pay the bills to keep them on until you evict them...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago

Please take a moment to rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.