Tenant gave notice she was leaving 3-4 days after paying…

Customer Question
Tenant gave notice she...

Tenant gave notice she was leaving 3-4 days after paying month to month rent. Said she would be leaving at end of month. She is now saying she maybe leaving 1-2 weeks before the end of month & hinted at expecting a refund of the days she won't be here. Can she ask for that money?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

I just sent out the question. Do I write it again?

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Nothing written. She paid for all of March on a month to month. Several days later she said she would be leaving at the end of the month. She is now indicating she will probably go a week or two before the end of the month. She is indicating she wants a refund for þhose days. Is that legal?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

She is now saying she maybe leaving 1-2 weeks before the end of month & hinted at expecting a refund of the days she won't be here. Can she ask for that money?

.

Nope, she paid for the month.. whether she stays for the entire month or moves out early is her decision, but she has paid for the month and you are under no legal obligation to refund any prorated rent. The only exception is if you re-rented the property before the end of the month.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks