After making a purchase at an establisment, is it legal for…

After making a purchase...

After making a purchase at an establisment, is it legal for anyone to ask to see your receipt

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in the Virgin Islands

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I simply refuse to show my receipt. Usually, the exit is 5 - 10 feet from the registers. This annoys me, and I think that it may be an illegal search.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Did you receive my response to your second question?

3/16/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your consumer protection law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill following up on your question.

The Consumer Protection Bureau is in charge of consumer protection oversight and filing a complaint with them will allow them to conduct an investigation into this consumer practice.

http://ltg.gov.vi/consumer-complaints-and-inquires.html

In relation to your civil liberties you could refuse to show evidence of a receipt as there is nothing in the law requiring you to consent to a search or show proof of purchase.

If there is an inference that you stole something you could sue for defamation in civil court.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer