I had an oral agreement with a person for the purchase of…

Customer Question
I had an oral...

I had an oral agreement with a person for the purchase of his half of two properties. After an argument we had he said the deal was off after receiving 90 percent of the total. Now he plans on selling the properties and not honoring the oral contract or giving me my money back. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. Oral contracts for the sale of real estate are unenforceable as they must be in writing. But certainly you have the right to sue him for taking your money.

what would be my next step

Start a civil action for fraudulently taking your money, or for what is known as conversion, or takng money under false pretenses. There are many possible causes of action.... too many to discuss in this forum.

would that be a civil attorney?

Yes. While a criminal complaint may possibly be fled, more likely than not the police or mprosecutor would pass and consider this a civil matter.

Do you have further questions?