I need help with someone who was keeping my pet for me

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with someone who was keeping my pet for me temporarily while I relocated from Texas to Delaware. They live in Olive Branch, Ms and they are refusing to talk to me. Her brother told me he thinks she wants to keep my pet and won't give him back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Delaware. She lives in Olive Branch, MS.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Investigating filing criminal charges and looking into what I ne d to do to get him back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I want to file criminal charges against her but haven't spoken to local Olive Branch policemen yet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal question earlier today. I'm sorry to hear that a person has taken your pet without your permission or authority and refused to return it to you.

Under the circumstances you do have both criminal and civil remedies for the recovery of your cherished pet.

Once the person in possession has notice that they are no longer holding your pet with your consent and continue to withhold your pet they are committing the crime of larceny by conversion, that is converting your property unlawfully.

You can send out a written letter to this person demanding the return of your pet; you can present proof of the certified mail to law enforcement and request they charge the person thereafter.

Alternatively, you can file a civil court action for the return of your pet under an action for replevin/ sequestration or property including a preliminary injunction for the return of your pet.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return your positive feedback is what gives me a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

I am in Delaware. Are you telling me I have to appear in person to Olive Branch police department to file criminal charges?Is my only remedy to get my pet back by filing a civil suit?Can I not hire a local attorney to recover my pet in a more expedient manner?
Olive Branch Mississippi.
Do you answer this questions under the same ticket/charges? Or no?

Yes, you can follow up even after you leave a rating.

Indeed, you can hire a local attorney and file suit in your local court.

Well if the person refuses to answer your letter and calls, then yes a civil suit or law enforcement are your options as I stated above.

Best

Attorney Bill