I live in Az and just received a verbal evocation notice…

Customer Question
I live in Az...

I live in Az and just received a verbal evocation notice from an rv park giving me 17 days notice to vacate. Is this legal? I have never received a complaint from the office.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

No. Should I get a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just received the phone call this afternoon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Management said I was getting too many visitors, which I was not. I haven't been at the rv much in March. I was in the hospital with a Chrones flare up and then at my parents recovering.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Do you have a written lease? In Arizona eviction notices MUST be in writing.

Where in AZ is the park located? Are you online with me?

"Customer: Management said I was getting too many visitors, which I was not."

For alleged noncompliance:

"33-2143. Termination or nonrenewal of rental agreement by landlord; noncompliance with rental agreement by tenant; failure to pay rent; notice; damages; definition

A. Except as provided in subsection F of this section, the landlord shall specify the reason or reasons for the termination or nonrenewal of any tenancy subject to this chapter. The reason or reasons relied on for the termination or nonrenewal shall be stated in writing with specific facts, so that the date, place and circumstances concerning the reason or reasons for termination or nonrenewal can be determined. Reference to or recital of the language of this chapter, or both, is not sufficient compliance with this subsection.

B. Except as provided in subsection F of this section, the landlord shall not terminate or refuse to renew a rental agreement without good cause.

C. The landlord's right to terminate or to refuse to renew a rental agreement pursuant to subsection B of this section does not arise until the landlord has complied with subsection D, E or F of this section.

D. Except as otherwise prohibited by law:

1. If there is a material noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement, the landlord shall deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and that the rental agreement will terminate on a date not less than thirty days after receipt of the notice if the breach is not remedied in fourteen days.

2. If there is a noncompliance by the tenant materially affecting health and safety, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and that the rental agreement will terminate on a date not less than twenty days after receipt of the notice if the breach is not remedied in ten days. If the breach is remediable by repair or the payment of damages or otherwise, and the tenant adequately remedies the breach before the date specified in the notice, the rental agreement does not terminate.

3. If there is a noncompliance by the tenant that is both material and irreparable, including an unlawful discharge of a weapon, prostitution as defined in section 13-3211, the unlawful manufacture, sale, use, storage, transfer or possession of a controlled substance as defined in section 13-3451, the infliction of serious bodily harm, assault as prescribed in section 13-1203 or any other action that involves imminent serious property damage, the landlord may deliver a written notice for immediate termination of the rental agreement and proceed in a special detainer action pursuant to section 33-1485.

4. If a tenant engages in repetitive conduct that is the subject of notices under this subsection, after two incidents of the same type documented by the landlord within a twelve month period or after receipt by the landlord of two written complaints from other tenants about the repetitive conduct within a twelve month period, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the repetitive conduct and the documentation and advising the tenant that on documentation of the next incident of the same type final notice will be given and the rental agreement or tenancy will be terminated thirty days after the date of the notice.

5. If a tenant has been involved in three or more documented incidents of conduct of any type described in this section within a twelve month period, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the conduct and the documentation and advising the tenant that on documentation of the next incident final notice will be given and the rental agreement or tenancy will be terminated thirty days after the date of the notice.

E. If rent is unpaid when due and the tenant fails to pay rent within five days after written notice by the landlord of nonpayment and the landlord's intention to terminate the rental agreement if the rent is not paid within that period of time, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement. Before judgment in an action brought by the landlord under this subsection, the tenant may have the rental agreement reinstated by tendering the past due but unpaid periodic rent, reasonable attorney fees incurred by the landlord and court costs, if any.

F. Except for those recreational vehicles that are park trailers as prescribed in section 33-2102, a landlord may refuse to renew a rental agreement without good cause by serving written notice to the tenant at least ninety days before the end of the rental agreement. In that event, the tenant must vacate the premises on or before the end of the rental agreement. For park trailers only, a landlord may refuse to renew or may terminate a rental agreement only with good cause.

G. For the purposes of this section, "good cause" means:

1. Noncompliance with any provision of the rental agreement.

2. Nonpayment of rent.

3. Clear and convincing evidence that a tenant has repeatedly violated this chapter and established a pattern of noncompliance with this chapter.

4. Change in use of land." https://www.azleg.gov/ars/33/02143.htm

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

I am not seeing any responses from you. Do you have any additional questions for me?