I went to Phoenix College Dental Program to have my teeth…

I went to Phoenix...

I went to Phoenix College Dental Program to have my teeth cleaned. My partial plate was not returned to me when I left. I looked into filing a suit with Small Claims Court but was told that I might be unable to file a suit against a public school institution. Is that true and if it is, do I have any recourse to make them pay for the loss?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I talked with a person at Phoenix College who said that she had investigated the situation and said that they believed that they had returned it to me. Then I spoke over the phone with a person at a court in north Phoenix.

3/15/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Basically, if you are going to be suing a public entity for something like negligence (for losing your partial plate) then you have to follow a slightly different procedure. First, you need to get a notice of claim. You can click here to find a notice of claim from Maricopa County

According to a trusted source:

You should draft your Notice of Claim. The notice should include your name, address, and any claim number or other information that will help the entity identify your case. It should be addressed to all persons/entities identified in step 2. Your Notice of Claim must also contain the following items:

1) The Factual Basis of The Claim: The notice of claim must provide sufficient information to allow the public entity to assess the basis of liability. You should include facts that show that the public entity/employee is at fault for your loss. You should also include facts about your damages, including medical treatment (if any), economic damages, and general damages (such as pain and suffering).

2) Amount For Which the Case Can Be Settled: You MUST include an amount that you are willing to accept to settle the claim. In presenting this amount, do not use any qualifiers or conditions.

Under Arizona law, the Notice of Claim should be received upon the public entity within 180 calendar days from the date of loss. A Notice of Claim CAN be mailed. It is highly recommended that, if you choose to mail the Notice of Claim, you do so with a certified mailing to verify receipt.

Under Arizona law, you must wait 60 days after serving your Notice of Claim before you can file any lawsuit.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, then you can file a lawsuit.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
I have gotten the information that I need to proceed.

You bet!

Hopefully I will not need any further services but I thank you for answering my question.
Thanks again!
I received the information that I needed. Thank you.

It's my pleasure!