How do I go about suing someone in small claims court and is…

Customer Question
How do I go...

How do I go about suing someone in small claims court and is there a fee?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Palm Beach County, Fl.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I hired a painter to paint the inside of my house. I made the mistake of paying in full. It was a terrible job. I called several times and he promised to come back an never did. Icalled again yesterday a he promised for the fourth time to come back today but he never did.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

No

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you're saying no to. Would you like me to not look at your question?

I just want to know how to go about taking this painter to court.
Please reply

Thanks so much for your patience. I think it's important to understand what your cause of action is first. In your case, this appears to be a classic breach of contract if they didn't do the kind of job that you paid for. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach.

If you are looking to file a lawsuit, then the best thing to do is to click here. The FL courts have a great step by step method to help you figure out exactly what it is that you're supposed to do. It's a bit much to put here, but try that link.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?