I need to file a small claims case in Vegas but I think the…

Customer Question
I need to file...

I need to file a small claims case in Vegas but I think the defendant may have moved back to CA. Can i still file in Vegas since it occurred here?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Tried to get my money from the defendant and she will not return my messages

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a demand letter filled out but not sent

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

thanks

It's possible; the court would need to establish jurisdiction over this person before you'd be able to sue this person in NV.

where would I file it?
do i send the demand letter to the address i have for her in california?

You CAN file it in NV and see what her response is - whether she challenges personal jurisdiction. If she doesn't (some people don't even realize they can challenge jurisdiction) the case would proceed. And, yes, you'd send the demand letter to the address you have (or multiple addresses if you have them). Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.