Below is another example of what I think is a scam. Through…

Hello, Below is another example...

Below is another example of what I think is a scam.
Through a business associate I heard about a job representing a Japanese firm, Masahiko Metal and Steel Company:Yamamoto SatoshiManaging Director10 Nishi-Shinsaibashi, Chua-Ku, 542086 Osaka, JapanRecently, I was hired to represent them in the US and Canada until they open a satellite office. My task is to process delinquent accounts.I am working with two companies:American Investment Trading & Company
*****NE Calgary, AB T1Y 7K7Mr. ***** *****Smarty Pants, Inc.
*****EastOntario CanadaI worked primarily with American Investment initially. Via email only, we negotiated a partial payment.Last week I received a check for ~$105,000. It was from Smarty pants, Inc. with an address in Marina Del Rey, CA 90292.I am expected to cash the check and send the money to Masahiko Metal. Of course, I keep 5% as my fee.Before I do anything that would risk my relationship with my bank, or affect my family, I would like your insight. I realize the risk, am quite sure this is some form a scam, but am hoping your insight will further prove that, and if there is legitimacy might advise me.I am including two invoices I have been working with as well as a copy of the check. The invoice to Smarty Pants is a subset of the invoice to American Investment. They do pay attention to detail.I have an MOU and other documentation if you want to see it.Thank you,***** *****niManaging PartnerWordParts

software

Education
*****■ Windsor, CO 80550P(###) ###-####■
***@******.*** ■ http://www.wordparts.netConfidentiality Notice: This email message may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message
3 Attachments

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado. I have 3 attachments. How should I send them.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. We still have the check for $105K.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do you want to see the attachments?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Your instincts are 100% right. This is a scam. Do not take this job. Do NOT deposit that check and, whatever you do, if you've already depositied it, talk to your bank ad don't withdraw against it.

If you proceed with what your so-called employer wants you are going to get very badly hurt. Not only can you lose a lot of money when the checks you deposit bounce -- which I guarantee they will -- but you'll owe your bank for the overdraft and can be charged criminally with bank fraud.

There is only one reason for a company to offer a position like this, and it's to use you to launder stolen money. They don't need to hire a telecommuter in another country to deposit their accounts receivables and then wire some of the money back. Once the checks bounce and you go looking for them, they will be nowhere to be found.

Why would they need to reach out to someone from another country in the first place to process payments? They wouldn't! And why would YOU have to create a bank account with you as the signatory or deposit the checks into your own account? The answer is so that when it all hits the fan, it is you who would get caught for the fraud and not them.

Here's how it works:

You get an offer of employment as some kind of an account manager from what usually is a foreign company or one that claims to be just opening up a branch in the States. It's a work at home position. The salary is very high for the kind of work you are doing, and there's no real interview to speak of. You get the job easily on the strength of your resumé. In fact, sometimes you're just offered the job via email without you even having applied or gotten interviewed at all.

There are two variations. In one, you're told that this job is to make purchases and you will be given credit card numbers to make them with. Then when the packages come to you, you'll repack them and ship them elsewhere.

In the second version, you're hired as an accounts manager and told you'll be processing checks which you will put in your bank account or in an account you will open in the business's name. Then you will keep a percentage as your commission and wire the money back to your employers. The checks will bounce and you'll be liable to your bank for the overdraft. If you fail to pay, your bank will have you prosecuted for bank fraud.

With regard to the first variation, you will learn the hard way that you will be making purchases with stolen credit card numbers, and all of the purchases will trace to you because they will be shipped to and from your home. People who engage in this kind of activity not only don't get paid by their so-called employers, they often get arrested for trafficking in stolen goods. Worse yet, as they are putting these packages into the mail, this is a Federal offense.

With either scam, when you get in trouble and you look for your employer to make it right, they won't be anywhere to be found. They don't, as it turns out, really exist at all.

You need to walk away from this job. Don't worry about breaking any contract or giving notice. The company is fraudulent and no contract with them is either real or enforceable. Don't process any checks. Report the scam to your police and to the Canadi

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney