What to have prepared for a preliminary hearing about a

Customer Question
What to have prepared...

What to have prepared for a preliminary hearing about a citation for leaving a child in car alone?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley
Are you planning on going unrepresented to the preliminary ary hearing?
At this point, yes
Essentially at a preliminary hearing the state only has to provide enough evidence that a crime may have occurred and not to the full legal guidelines of Beyond A Reasonable Doubt. They simply have to show that a crime may have occurred and that you are the one who committed it and that it occurred in the jurisdiction at the hearing is being held in. A preliminary hearing is more of an evidence-gathering exercise and really not one where you are trying to get the case dismissed as that rarely happens. All you tried to do is find out the simple facts, who what where when how. The state would have to show any evidence and Witnesses they have and you would have the opportunity to question them as well
Is it better to have counsel?
What is the precedent for cases like this in Maryland?
In my opinion, it is always better to have an attorney with you as they have the education and the training above any lay person would have. There really is no precedent 4 these types of matters. Plenty of people represent themselves and plenty represent themselves. In my opinion I really think you would be better having an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney then I would suggest filing for a public defender. Any attorney would be better than no attorney in my opinion