I has a tenant in Massachusetts on a month to month lease…

Customer Question
I has a tenant...

I has a tenant in Massachusetts on a month to month lease and I need to send him a 30 day notice to vacate as I have sold the unit and have a closing scheduled on May 22, 2018. I know Massachusetts and do not anticipate a problem, however cannot tank any chances. I did speak with him this morning on the topic and he understood as he knew it was being sold. My feeling is it should go out under my name rather than an attorney. I am looking for the language to use.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No just a phone conversation on the topic

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MA lawyer about this?

No my lawyer is not licensed in ma i live in ri

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley
Assuming that you have a written lease, you would only need to quote the language of the lease that calls for terminating it. If you do not have a written lease then all you would need to do is give them 30 day notice that you are terminating the terms of the lease. Selling the property is clearly grounds to terminate the lease, especially if it is month to month. I agree that you this is something that you can do without having to pay an attorney and simply send them notice on your letterhead advising them that you are terminating the lease due to the impending sale of the property
When we started 4 years ago we had a written lease however when it expired we went to a month to month. Do the original terms and conditions still apply?

the original terms to apply

if the lease talks about terminating it then those need to be followed

the parties can also agree to other terms as well

such as him leaving earlier since it is being sold