Im having a issue with a Car dealership. Maryland. This is…

Hi, Im having a...

Hi, Im having a issue with a Car dealership.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is my first step, Im want to see if i even have a legal issue here

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Should I explain the issue to you?

3/15/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed

My wife and I purchased a car 2/8/2019 from Oursiman Jeep, Dodge in Alexandria VA. They sold us a car with previous issues that we were unaware of. After taking it to get checked out a week later, We found out all of the problems. They offered to fix it but at a price. I don't think that is fare. Also they did not tell us it was "AS IS" of course in which we signed paper work stating such. It was the end of the night, we were the last customers in the dealership so we were rushed out not reading the fine print. Our fault!
Now the next issue is that we didn't received the title for the car until 3 days before our temporary tags expired 3/13/2018.
Today I arrive at a Department of motor vehicle to be told they sold us the car prematurely. The date on the title is 2/20/2018. We purchased on 2/8/2018. They did not own the rights to the car before they sold it to us. Is there any legal issue here?

You purchased it 2/8/2019? I'm guessing you mean 2/8/2018?

Sorry

So, they absolutely have to disclose known issues with the car. But most things are sold "as is" - and if that fact is disclosed in the paperwork that you signed that's a pretty big deal.

However, since they did not own the car until 2/20 they legally COULD NOT sell the car to you until 2/20... at best there's no valid contract b/c they didn't own the subject matter of the contract - and at worst it's fraud. Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

It kind of answers my question. Would I be able to just return the car then? Even if the contract states "AS IS"

No - you couldn't just return the car; they won't take it back. I mean, you could try, but the odds of them taking it back are low. I'm sorry, I wish I could tell you otherwise. You'd need to sue them to return the car. Please, please don't shoot the messenger.

Understood, But you do believe I have a legal issue here? You have been an amazing help. Your getting 5 stars.

I do believe that NOBODY can create a valid contract when the subject matter of the contract isn't even owned by them when they try to sell it. That's a very big no-no!

And thank you for your kind words :)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Thank you Olivia! You have a wonderful day!

My pleasure :) Thanks so much for your rating!
If I can ever be of assistance in the future, you can reach me directly by clicking HERE
or asking for me directly by putting THIS QUESTION IS FOR OLIVIA before typing your question.