I allowed my cousin to stay with me till she got a job and…

I allowed my cousin...

I allowed my cousin to stay with me till she got a job and on her feet. Now she is stating she is a tenant and won't leave she has started throwing things an slamming doors

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Califorina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have found a apt for her I have ask her to move I have texted and ask her to move.

3/15/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
How long has she stayed with you?

4 months She is throwing things yelling slamming doors
won't leave she is now working I offered to help her till she got a job and on her feet she has been working for 2 months and won't move

Okay, so she has been with you for quite some time - which means you'll need to serve her with a Notice to Vacate and if she fails to leave then you'd file in court to have her formally evicted. That usually takes about a month.

What about her violence I have to live with that

If she is being violent you'd file for a restraining order which is another potential way of getting her out of the residence.

Thank you

It's my pleasure :) This is definitely an area where "self help" (taking her stuff and putting it on the doorstep, for example) can lead to a giant headache) but a restraining orders frequently yield a similar result when granted. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney